• USMA and K of C Hall Free Classic Car Cruise-In is 4-7:30 p.m. Aug. 27, K of C Hall, 870 N. Main Street, Clawson, unitedstreetmachines.com/events.html, 248-435-3091, benefitting K of C charities, indoor concessions.
• USMA Miracle League Field/Friendship Park fundraiser car show, sponsored by Golling Buick GMC is 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 28, Miracle League Field (Friendship Park), Baldwin Road and Clarkston Road, Lake Orion, unitedstreetmachines.com/events.html, 248-435-3091. Fundraiser car show, classic music provided by Rockin’ Ronnie.
• USMA Annual Billy Sohns Memorial car show is 7:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Aug. 28, K of C Hall, 870 N. Main Street, Clawson, 248-435-3091. Memorial Car show in honor of the late Billy Sohns, Rockin’ Ronnie classic music show, indoor food concessions.
• USMA/Clawson K of C Free Classic Car Cruise-In benefit is 4-7:30 p.m., Sept. 3 at 870 N. Main Street, Clawson, unitedstreetmachines.com/events.html, benefit car cruise, proceeds to Peggy Sieffert and Frank Bianco.
• Gleaners Community Food Bank food distribution event is at the Oakland County Farmers Market, 9-11 a.m. Aug. 25, while supplies last, for anyone in need. Drive-up and stay in the vehicle, or walk-up distribution, no need for proof of eligibility. For information, call 248-858-5495 or email [email protected]
• Food drive and special Veterans Resource Fair is 9 a.m.-noon, Aug. 26, at the Hazel Park Community Center, 620 West Woodward Heights, Hazel Park. Registration is required at bit.ly/3z7qRPU, 248-542-2160.
Concerts in the Park/Festivals
• Huzzah! Renaissance Festival: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. rain or shine, Saturdays and Sundays, Aug. 21-Oct. 3, (plus Labor Day, Sept. 6, and Festival Friday, Oct. 1), Hollygrove, 12600 Dixie Hwy., Holly. Themed weekend is Pirates & Pups, Admission is $23.95+ adult, $15.50+ for ages 5-12, MichRenFest.com.
• Miss Paula & the Candy Bandits: Kids’ concert 7-8:30 p.m. Aug. 25, Burgh Historical Park, 26080 Berg Road, Southfield, cityofsouthfield.com.
• Ben Sharkey: 7 p.m. Aug. 25 at Shain Park, 270 W Merrill St., Birmingham, In the Park Summer Concert series through Sept. 8, bhamgov.org/summerconcerts.
• Surf Zup: 7-9 p.m. Aug. 25, Concerts in the Park at Hiram Sims Park, 1239 Quinif Drive, Walled Lake, walledlake.us/index.php/parks.
• Thornetta Davis is 6:30-8:30 p.m., Aug. 26 Troy’s Summer Sensation Concert Series at Boulan Park, on Crooks Road between Big Beaver and Wattles Road, Troy. Bring lawn chairs or blankets, food trucks start at 5:30 p.m., troymi.gov.
• Dragon on the Lake festival is Aug. 26-29 in downtown Lake Orion and on Lake Orion, entertainment, food, boat races, lighted boat parade, Little Dragon Den, 5K, dragononthelake.com, presented by Orion Art Center.
• Oakland Uncorked is 7-10 p.m. Aug. 27 at the Oakland County Farmers Market. Local distributors pour wine for tasting, food from area restaurateurs, live music, farmers market, artisans and silent auction, $50, ages 21+. Reservations at 248-666-8600, waterfordchamber.org/events/oakland-uncorked.
• Metamora Country Days and Hot Air Balloon Festival is Aug. 27-28, North Oak Street, Metamora, metamorachamber.org/metamora-country-days.html.
• “Outdoor Sanctuaries of Historical Pleasant Ridge” Garden Tour is 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 11 at the Pleasant Ridge Community Center, 4 Ridge Road, $15 adv., $20 day of, cityofpleasantridge.org, 248-541-2901.
• The Village Summer Concert Series is 6-8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays in Festival Park, The Village of Rochester shopping center, bring your lawn chairs and blankets, TheVORH.com/Events.
• Pontiac Farmers Market, next market day is 1-4 p.m. Aug. 22, 48 W. Huron, Lot 5, NE corner of Woodward and West Huron, Pontiacfarmersmarket.org. Future markets are Sept. 12, Sept. 26 and Oct. 31, facebook.com/Pontiacmifarmersmarket.
• Clarkston Farmers Market is 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturdays June 19-Oct. 9, in the front parking lot at the Clarkston Community Education Center, 6558 Waldon Road, Clarkston, 248-821-4769, clarkstonareafarmersmarket.com.
• The Color of Wellness 5K Fun Run is 7:30 a.m. Aug. 28 at Rochester Municipal Park, 400 6th St., Rochester. The run is a family event to benefit New Day Foundation for Families, which offers financial assistance for families as they face the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Registration is $30 per person and includes a race t-shirt and a finisher’s medal, either virtually or in-person, foundationforfamilies.org/5k, 248-564-9577, presented by the Woodhouse Day Spa.
• Friendship Circle 16th annual Walk4Friendship event, a nonprofit to benefit individuals with special needs, is 11:30 a.m. Aug. 29 at Friendship Circle’s West Bloomfield campus, 6892 W. Maple Road. Register at walk4friendship.com.
• Back-to-school supply drive, to benefit Judson Center and schools and students in need, hosted by EvolveK12, drop-off donation site is at 2139 Cole St, Birmingham, evolvek12.org.
• Wild Game Dinner & Auction fundraiser is 6 p.m. Sept. 23 at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, includes strolling dinner, auction and live music from Athens Creek, meadowbrookhall.org/wildgamedinner, $150 each.
• Birmingham Lions Club 10th Annual Golf Scramble fundraiser for Leader Dogs for the Blind is Aug. 24, at Cherry Creek Golf Club, Shelby Twp., eventregisterpro.com/event/birminghamlions, 248-770-0968, $130 per golfer, $500 per foursome, 18 holes. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m., shotgun start at 10 a.m. continental breakfast and lunch, award ceremony dinner and cocktails after golf, cash bar, auction.
• Feldman Automotive Children’s Miracle Celebrity Invitational is 8:30 a.m. Aug. 30 at Detroit Golf Club, 17911 Hamilton Road, Detroit, to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network at Beaumont Children’s and the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation, register and pay at Beaumont.org/CMCI.
• Marketing & Sales Executives of Detroit 28th Annual Golf Outing is Aug. 30 with shotgun start at 9 a.m. at Cherry Creek Golf Club in Shelby Township, includes 18 holes with cart, two-course beverage tickets, lunch at the turn, post-golf hors d’oeuvres, raffle, $200 per golfer, register at msedetroit.org/event-4349484.
• FORE Troy 18-hole scramble is Sept. 14, at Indianwood Golf and Country Club in Lake Orion, includes breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon after-glow. VIP Foursome $1350 (Early Bird Pricing $1000 before July 31), register at troychamber.com/events/tee-off-fore-troy-annual-golf-outing.
• Hospitality House Food Pantry Golf Outing is 8:30 a.m. Aug. 30, Edgewood Country Club, 8399 Commerce Road, Commerce Twp., register at hhfp.org/events, $125 per person.
• OLHSA Golf Fore Change is 8 a.m. Sept. 20, Fountains Golf Course, 6060 Maybee Road, Clarkston, olhsa.org/golf-fore-change-2021, $125 per person.
• Drive for Life Invitational golf outing is Oct. 11, North Course of Oakland Hills Country Club, 3951 W. Maple Road, Bloomfield Hills, to benefit oncology patient programs and services at both the Walter & Marilyn Wolpin Comprehensive Breast Care Center in Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak and the Wilson Cancer Resource Center in Beaumont Hospital, Troy, event includes breakfast, lunch, cocktail hour, gifts, online auction and dinner. Register at Beaumont.org/DriveForLife.
• Downtown Rochester Bike Tour is 7 p.m. Aug. 26, meeting at Rotary Gateway Park near the library, west side parking lot, $20 each, adv. register at rochesterhills.org/museum, guided tour, three miles of biking with frequent stops, presented by The Rochester Hills Museum.
• The City of Rochester Hills offers Hiking Boots & Thinking Caps guided hike, Aug. 26, rochesterhills.org/outdoors, 248-656-4673.
• Lyon Township Public Library of South Lyon presents “Walk or Run Your Heart Out : Virtual – 1 Mile/5K, Aug. 19-Aug. 22, 248-437-8800, free, register at lyon.assabetinteractive.com/calendar.
• “Yoga in the Garden” is 9 a.m. Aug. 15, Meadow Brook Hall, 350 Estate Drive, Rochester, meadowbrookhall.org/yoga, 248-364-6200, $15 each.
• Yoga in the Gardens is 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 9 a.m. Saturdays through Sept. 4 at Cranbrook House & Gardens: 380 Lone Pine Road, Bloomfield Hills, housegardens.cranbrook.edu/events/yoga, 248-645-3149, gen adm. is $15, adv. Registration required.
• Free Walk West Bloomfield program is 6:30-7 p.m. Tuesdays and 8-8:30 a.m. Saturdays, through August, sponsored by Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital. Registration required at wbparks.org/walkwb.html.
• State of Michigan COVID-19 hotline for testing or vaccines is 1-888-535-6136, (8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.), for information, visit Michigan.gov/Coronavirus or CDC.gov/Coronavirus or email [email protected]
• Oakland County COVID-19 Vaccination, OaklandCountyVaccine.com.
• Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) program is available for card holders of all Michigan public libraries, for free or discounted admission to more than 450 locations, including historic sites, cultural attractions and state parks, plymouthrockets.com/michiganactivitypass.
• Baldwin Public Library is no longer charging overdue fines for materials returned after their due dates. The library has also removed all historic overdue fines from patron records. This is a part of an institutional movement from libraries nationwide, in an effort to increase free public access to library services, 248-554-4682, baldwinlib.org.
• Ferndale Library is hosting a virtual series of Summer Reading Programs for all ages, for the chance to win prizes, ferndalepubliclibrary.org.
• Lyon Township Public Library of South Lyon presents “Redistricting in Michigan: What’s Going On and Why Should I Care?” Is 6-7 p.m. Aug. 24, online, 248-437-8800, free, register at lyon.assabetinteractive.com/calendar.
• Lyon Township Public Library, South Lyon, “Dark Side of the Mitten” with Tom Carr: Virtual author visit 7-8:30 p.m. Aug. 25, lyon.assabetinteractive.com/calendar/tom-carr-virtual-author-visit.
• Oxford Public Library, 530 Pontiac Street, Oxford, presents The Clinton River Watershed Council – Adopt-A-Stream Program training, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 8, Register at www.miopl.org, 248-628-3034.
• Huron-Clinton Metroparks and DTE Energy teamed up to offer free admission to the 13 Metroparks. Visitors can receive a free daily vehicle pass every weekend through Labor Day: Aug. 20-22, Aug. 27-29 and Sept. 3-6, metroparks.com.
• TrailBlazer Walking Series, 7-8 p.m. Aug. 24, Addison Oaks County Park, 1480 W Romeo Road, Leonard, RSVP at 248-221-8040, free program featuring one-mile informational hikes, 248-221-8040, text to reserve your spot, OaklandCountyParks.com. Park entry fees apply.
• Michigan State Parks and Recreation Areas, michigan.gov/dnr. Park entrance fees apply.
• “Stream Science” is 1-5 p.m. Thursdays, through Aug. 26, Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm, 1005 Van Hoosen Road, Rochester Hills, rochesterhills.org/musdonate, free, donations welcome. Explore the creek, with nets, magnifying glasses and bug boxes. Staff will be on site near the creek with available supplies, first come, first serve basis.
• Clinton River Watershed Council is hosting Clinton River Quest, a scavenger hunt for all ages, to encourage exploration of the 760 square-miles of the watershed across Oakland and Macomb Counties, June through Sept. 30. Those interested in participating can register at CRWC.org/join-us, $15 for individuals with lower family rates available. Participants receive a t-shirt, backpack and guidebook.
• The Sam Bernstein Law Firm, based in Farmington Hills, will be awarding $5,000 scholarships to 10 families in Michigan to help pay for college, www.callsam.com/scholars.
• Summer Courtyard Cookout for Adults 50+, is 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Aug. 25, Costick Activities Center, 28600 W. 11 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, with hot dogs, side dishes, ice cream, musical entertainment. Register by Aug. 20, fhgov.com/Activities.aspx, $8 per person.
• Farmington Hills’ Splash Pad, inside Heritage Park on Farmington Road, fhgov.com/Activities/Parks-Facilities/Splash-Pad.aspx.
• Spray Park at Clintonwood Park, 6000 Clarkston Road, Independence Twp., indtwp.com/departments/parks_rec_and_seniors/clintonwood_park.php, 248-625-8223.
• Red Oaks Waterpark and children’s Splash Pad is open through Aug. 29, at 1455 E. Thirteen Mile Road, Madison Heights, online tickets are $17, on-site $20, OaklandCountyParks.com.
• Splash ‘n’ Blast splash pad, Kensington Metropark, 4570 Huron River Parkway Milford, park entry fees and splash pad fees apply, metroparks.com/parks/kensington-metropark.
• Playground and Splash Pad, Seymour Lake Township Park, 2795 Seymour Lake Road, Oxford, 248-628-1720, oxparkrec.org/seymour-lake-township-park.
• Rochester Hills splash pad, 1551 E Auburn Road, Rochester Hills, hours are 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., rochesterhills.org.
• Southfield Sports Arena Pool, outdoor pool, Civic Center Park, 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield, 248-796-4640, register for open swim, cityofsouthfield.com/departments/parks-recreation/facilities.
• Troy Aquatic Center, 3425 Civic Center Drive, Troy, 248-524-3484, rec.troymi.gov/facilities/troy_family_aquatic_center/index.php.
• West Bloomfield Parks splash pad at 6200 Farmington Road, West Bloomfield Township, pre-buy tickets at wbparks.org, 248-451-1900, $4/resident, $6/nonresident per session.
• Spray ‘n’ Play splash pad, Indian Springs Metropark, White Lake, 11 a.m.-8 p.m., daily, metroparks.com/parks/indian-springs-metropark.
• International Overdose Awareness Day is 6-9 p.m. Aug. 31, Overdoseday.com.
• Hospice of Michigan continues to offer virtual grief support groups, hom.org.
• The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-TALK (8255), suicidepreventionlifeline.org or text 741741.
• The American Red Cross urges healthy individuals to donate blood, platelet and plasma. Visit RedCrossBlood.org/SummerFullOfLife or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
• Dog owners can go through therapy dog training with their dogs with Mid-Michigan Therapy Dogs. The MMTD program includes eleven weeks of training with two class options: 5:45-6:45 p.m. or 7 to 8 p.m., starting Sept. 7 at Goodrich United Methodist Church, 8071 S. State Street (M-15), Goodrich. The dogs will be tested to earn their (CGC) Canine Good Citizen Certification through the American Kennel Club. Once certified they will be ready to volunteer in area hospitals, nursing homes and more. Adv., registration is required, midmichigantherapydogs.com, 248-521-2930.
Submit community events to The Oakland Press online at bit.ly/1iUM73e.