Baku, April 23, AZERTAC
Since ancient times, music was widely used in public celebrations and spiritual processions in Karabakh. From the first half of the 19th century, the performing arts developed rapidly in Karabakh, especially in the heart of the region – the city of Shusha.
In the 1870s-1880s, various musical meetings, clubs and schools were opened in Shusha. Prominent Azerbaijani singers Kharrat Gulu and Molla Ibrahim were the creators of the Shusha School of Music. Later, famous singer Haji Husu and musicologist Mir Mohsun Navvab established the Society of Musicologists in the city. Since then, groups of singers performed songs at intervals between theatrical performances, and at the beginning of the 20th century they began to give independent concerts on stage.
Based on this tradition, on October 10, 1932, the Shusha Music School, the first music school for children, was established in Azerbaijan on the initiative of Bulbul, the founder of Azerbaijani vocal art. This music school operated in the house of Khurshudbanu Natavan. Since 1984, this school was renamed Shusha Children’s Art School after Niyazi. However, after the occupation of Shusha by the Armenian armed forces in 1992, the music school in Shusha was demolished.
© Content on this site must be hyperlinked when used.