Students and employees at a college in Quezon City were shocked after the school was announced to close on the first day of class, Monday August 15.
In a letter, College of San Lorenzo (CDSL) said that the financial instability and lack of economic viability due to the pandemic and exacerbated by the constant low participation rate in recent years led to the decision to permanently close the university establishment.
“While students have already registered for the next school year 2022-2023, it would be difficult for Colegio De San Lorenzo to continue operating due to the low participation rate of registered students. this year,” CDSL said.
CDSL assured students that it would “initiate full refund of fees paid”.
The school also pledged to “help all students transfer to other schools and educational institutions by timely releasing their records and credentials for this purpose.”
To help college students, CDSL said it was coordinating with a university “to ensure a better transition.”
CDSL said the Accounting and Registrar’s office will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., August 16 through September 19, to allow for the processing and claiming of refund and transfer credentials.
Students, employees left behind
Parents and students have expressed their frustration and concerns online over the school’s sudden closure.
The institution’s move left thousands of students and staff suspended.
Some worried about how students would transfer to another school, citing the challenge of maintaining their academic standing. Others cited that schools and universities have already closed student admissions.
The Facebook user said he was taken hostage by the school.
In an open letter on Facebook, a parent of an elementary school student said what CDSL did was “more than ghosting”.
After eagerly awaiting the return of face-to-face classes, she lamented the school’s sudden closure.
“Please don’t do this to us, especially to the children. They’ve been through so much during this pandemic, God only knows. added the parent.
The parent called the headteacher Marie-Claire Balgan allow students to continue their studies in the establishment this school year.
The college’s student council said the institution had “betrayed” the students’ dream of completing their education.
“Ngayon na magsasara ang pangalawang tahanan namin, lahat kami is naguguluhan and natatakot. Hindi has never been easier. Kundi in natuduldukan biglang pangaraps. It is very important and it is very important and nawala sa aming kamay,” they added.
The student council said they had been stripped of their dignity by the institution they served.
The school representative, during a general meeting held on Monday August 5, declared that he had coordinated with the St. Catherine’s College – Quezon City to accept CDSL students without having to pass an entrance test.
Classes at St. Catherine’s College, Quezon City will begin September 12.
In a Facebook post, the Villager Montessori College in Barangay Sangandaan, Project 8, Quezon City, offered to host the concerned students from CDSL.