Moulin Rouge produced in Australia! The musical will compete for 14 awards, including Best Musical, at the 74th Annual Tony Awards on Monday, September 27 AEST.
The awards will also celebrate Broadway’s comeback this month as part of a four-hour special featuring the three nominees for Best Musical, including Moulin Rouge! Musical comedy.
In a return to the open air, the ceremony will air in Australia on 10 Peach starting at 9:00 a.m. AEST with special event performances starting at 11:00 a.m. AEST and later available for catch-up on 10 Play On Demand.
The Moulin Rouge debuts on Broadway in 2019! The musical stunned critics – Ben Brantley of the New York Times declaring the show his choice of reviewer – “At the Moulin Rouge, la vie est belle.” The production broke box office records for the Al Hirschfeld theater, won a Grammy nomination for the cast’s original recording, a Drama League award for outstanding production of a musical, and ten awards external criticism.
Red Mill! The musical is the first Australian-produced musical to originate on Broadway and will have its Australian premiere this year at the Regent Theater in Melbourne, with global productions slated to open in London’s West End in November and Tokyo in 2023. .
Red Mill! The musical is expected to open in Melbourne as soon as possible. Tickets are currently on sale until February 2022 exclusively through Ticketmaster. For more information, visit moulinrougemusical.com
Red Mill! The musical is nominated for a total of 14 awards in 13 categories:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction in a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Book of a Musical – John Logan
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical – Karen Olivo
- Best Performance by a Lead Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical – Robyn Hurder
- Best Performance by a Star Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein, Sahr Ngaujah
- Best Stage Design in a Musical – Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design in a Musical – Peter Hylenski
For more information, click here
Photo credit: Matthieu murphy