The management of Port-Harcourt University Hospital has denied reports that 14 infants died following a power outage at its facility.
Acting public relations officer Elabha Meni said so in a statement released in Port Harcourt on Saturday.
Meni was reacting to reports on social media that 14 infants died in hospital, although he confirmed there had been a power outage.
However, he said the report was aimed at damaging the image of the institution which he describes as a center of excellence.
The statement reads: “The University Hospital of Port-Harcourt is an institution where the best medical standards in the world are practiced and maintained. Which has also helped to make the institution one of the best medical centers in the South-South and Nigeria in general.
“However, it is quite sad that some people try to tarnish the image of the hospital by spreading false messages and inaccurate information.
“Our attention has been drawn to a story of 14-19 babies dying in hospital, this is not correct. We have had no infant deaths in our SCBU (inborn and unborn) following our breakdown of electricity, due to the faulty transformer, during which the standby generator serviced the hospital during the period, with all emergency areas being fully powered.
“The surgeries have never been cancelled; our services have not been interrupted either.
“UPTH leadership seriously disapproves of this outrageous propaganda on social media which damages its image.
“We want the general public to know that we remain committed to our service to humanity.”
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior express written permission of PUNCH.
Contact: the editorial staff[at]punchng.com